. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Marantz CD17 KI power supply specs. Go back
Alephman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Marantz CD17 KI power supply specs.
Hi!

Looks like first posting! Very Happy

Hopefully, someone can guide me over this Q.

I have a Marantz CD 17, and am very interested to mod the power supply to the torrodial type like the one in the CD17 KI. Can anyone provide me with the specs required?

Thanks.

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject: mod reconmend
Hi just wondering, are you going to MOD it urself or bring it to the shop and get someone to do it for u?

Well i hope u inderstand what you are doing as 240 VOLTS is something u might not wanna try touching.

Well in my opinion, changing power supply is good to improve, but is the toroidal transformer noisy. Not all toroidal are good for power supply " correct me if im wrong"

i think u need to get a good, quiet audiofile transformer.

Clean power i think is more important.
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Thanks Sonyman,

After a year, somebody advises! Very Happy

Anyway, I've instead just went conventional, just change the CDP!

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
you are always welcome.

it is good to see some ppl coming back to the site to reply and take the initiative to write some comments.

So what CD player are u using now ?
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Another Marantz! Embarassed

spacer
Post Post subject:
Hi Guys,

What's the latest trend in CDP or DACs? Single bit, multi bit,
96KHz, 192KHz, non oversamplings, many times oversamplings,
synchronous or asynchronous digital clockings, etc.,

Cheers,
Vic.

Very Happy
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
My take on the CDP scene.

The market for new machines seems to have being broken in to 2 sections. Below RM$3K and above RM$8K.

There are plenty of budget players from mass manufacturers like Marantz, and higher end models starting from RM$8K onwards.

Doesn't seem to have much choice, if any at all in the sub RM$5K area.

One area to look out for are Chinese made CDP which have Tube output sections to smooth away some of the CD's brightness, if you can call that. The Chinese stuff are rather promising in sound quality from the few that I heard but based on foreign forum postings, reliability seems to be like Russian roullete. It could be an apple or a lemon if you're unlucky.

My pick for the moment?

In no order of preference,

1) Shanling CDT-100C
2) Marantz SA15-S1(this is also an SACD player)
3) Spark CD-17

spacer
Post Post subject:
Actually, it's all about system synergy.. before I can comment on the CDP. May I know what's in the rest of your system?

Rgds
barry
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Hi! Barry,

Welcome to this lonely forum, I see that you qoute items in USD$. Hence you're not local?

Care to introduce a bit about your self and your hi-fi experience?

spacer
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
Hi! Barry,

Welcome to this lonely forum, I see that you qoute items in USD$. Hence you're not local?

Care to introduce a bit about your self and your hi-fi experience?

Ha.. this is indeed a very quite forum.. and I don't blame Malaysians for this. Hi-Fi is essentially a very costly habit, especially for Malaysians.

I'm a Malaysian working in the US. I arrived in the US around March 2005 and that's when I started getting into the audiophiles hobbies. Because US markets are very mature and there're plenty of shops selling high-end gears, so I have been going all over the city (I worked in Houston) to audition many different equipments. I have lost count of how many speakers I have listened to, but I think I have covered the range between US$1500 (Quad 22L, JM-Lab Chorus, Spendor, EPOS, B&W...) to US$24,000 (Aerial Acoustics 20T..and etc). I have listened to preamp/amps from Audio research, Krell, Bryston, Musical Fidelity.

Currently I am getting someone to custom-make my speakers (www.salksound.com), I have been waiting for 2 months, the guy is too busy, he hasn't finished yet! I will run my speakers (called HT3) with a Bryston 4B-SST amp, a Red wine audio modified SB3 as digital transport, and a Tact 2.0S (with modified power supply) as DAC/Preamp. Speaker cable wise I will starts with a simple 99.999% silver zip cord, my interconnect is Zu Cable Oxyfuel... This is the system that I will start with. Once it is set up, I will then use it as a reference to compare different brands of power amps, transport and cables. My whole system will cost me about US$15,000 (including room acoustic treatment). But this is trememdous savings compared to buying the same thing in Malaysia. US is an audiophile heaven, I have to make full use of my stay here, stock up as many gears as possible before I go back to Malaysia. Laughing

Oh by the way, if you're looking for a good digital source, it's probably worth trying a combination of SB3 digital out -> DAC 60 -> amp -> speakers

Here's a guy that replace his US$4000 Cary 303/300 CD player with the DAC 60, although he used an expensive CEC transport but I think the SB3 can beat the CEC transport.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=26012&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have listened to the ShanLing CD player that you mentioned, to be honest, I wasn't very impressed.

You can get a DAC 60 from this geek in Hong Kong:
http://eshop.diyclub.biz/index.php?cPath=23_162
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Barry,

You have very nice gear. Not quite affordable by my stds.

Some how, another US based friend shared your opinion about the Shanling. Don't know why, but perhaps you guys have a lot more choice in the states than we do, hence the Shanling may not sound that "hot" there.

That DAC 60 looks nice too. But due to space constrain, not looking into 2 box CDPs for now.

Thanks for the great intro.

Looks like you'll be bringing some stuff when you come back.

spacer
Post Post subject:
Hi Bary,
Thanks for joining us. Im also a novince and ya, as what aleph say's
ur system in our country are own by really reach or really crazy about hifi,
Too bad malaysia is not a good place to spend money worth while for the hifi.

Sometimes, i feel that the dealers are the ones that determines the price but never the GOV inscrease the tax.
Cause there are not much of competition in our country, and we only have 2 miserable shows a year.
In other countries as i read the reviews, they have load and loads of shows going on in a year.
For example the US.

So eventually if no one is going to do something about the hifi industry, the show will first die, and then later we only concentrate on certain models or brands that are brought in by the same dealer.
and worst of all, we wont know that there may be better speakers for the price that u pay in your regular dealer.

Thats what happening to me now. I bought the CODA 70 and last weekend " sory aleph, i eventually went to amcorp mall after changing the car tyres" and hear a pair of chinese made speakers that cost RM1800 with a whole bunch of chinese electronics setups and cables, the sound was wonderful.
Cant remember the speaker brand name, but it sure do sound good.

Well, taxes are one thing, but dealers are also another, add them up togather, well, u get very ridiculous prices.
no choice, i still need to listen to good music, unless toto or magnum give me some money, then i can go for better ones.

hehe, thats 4 now.

WelCome Our New Friend
95bcwh

spacer
Post Post subject:
Ha, thanks for all the welcoming messages.

I can see that Malaysians are at disadvantages compared to the Americans, but I think we can probably take this as a challenge.

It is true that Americans have great access to a lot of choices. It's very common for people to have spent over $100k on their audio system. Compared to these guys, my US$15k system is like an entry-level to high end.. Wink

However, let's not be all sad about it, after lurking around in many different forums and talking to many people, what I discovered is: you don't need to spend a fortune to achieve audio nirvana. You can save a hell lot by learning how to DIY.

For example, I have just begin to know some local guys who're into DIY their own tube amps, and to my ears, the amps they have could easily matched or even blow away some of the very expensive tube amps from e.g. Audio Research.

I think I will probably invest a little bit in my own education, maybe I can take a short course on electronic repairs, or work with a small local companies on a part time basis to learn how to repair different components. So in the futures I can DIY my own DAC, preamp, amp.....etc..

Just for your reading pleasure, here're the two threads that talked about the best of the best speakers and amps in the US (all with staggering price tag):
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=26676
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=26676

Staggering prices they are, but one must remember that 50% of the price you saw are dealer's markup. Hence actual cost of manufacturing these equipment is perhaps only 25% of their retail prices. Plus a lot of companies are now getting their stuff made in China. There're a lot of these OEM chinese companies then use the same design, put a different name and then market them at a fraction of the price. One of the best known example is Vincent CD player, selling around $3000 in the US, but the clone (Sheng Ya) can be bought in China for only a few hundred US dollars.

So the key is to spend our money smartly...

best regards
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
DIY, that idea is just taking off recently with a few friends. It's fun. Thinking of building mt own speakers soon, but daunted by the cost and the very complicated passive x-over required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: