. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Other Audio Equipment
. Upgrading your power source Go back
skareb

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Upgrading your power source
I was at Uncle Robert's shop yerterday, (who happen to own an electrical supply shop) we had a quick chat about power supply. He advised me to have a dedicated line direct from the main switch board so no mixing with other power source. The benefit would be clean and ample power feeding the Hifi. I was really taken in and so arrange my electrician this morning to start the project.

We use 6mm for Live and neutral cable, 4mm for Earth. Uncle Robert help source the imported MK direct switchless socket and a dedicated imported ABB Germany MCB at the switch board. It took 3 hours to complete the instalation, and after cleaning up all the mess and here goes.....powered up.

The sound is so much damn quiet, at first I thought it was just my brain convincing me that after all the money and trouble this gotta be better. But when I notice I was playing the volumn at 30 and still be able to chat without shouting and nothing annoys me I know the system is so much more cleaner and balance. The bass is also tighter and more detail, not just muddy boom but I can hear things working down there. I get better resolution and its so much improvement for so little money spend.

Ok this DO sound like those TV commercial but really "Now wait theres more!" The imaging of instrument is so much more sharper you can like touch those objects.

I got very good experience from this and actually benefitting, but it could be originally my power source was dirty with noises as I share my line with TV, astro, table fan and god knows what else. Somemore I use those pasar malam extention cable and RM3.50 adapter. So now you know la, don't buy thousands of ringgit of hifi and use RM3.50 adapter, the bottle neck will rob you like hell. And for those who happen to lived on landed property you can have a dedicated Earth installed, putting some 5 foot copper bar and you ground your earth properly and you end up having really super clean DC source. Unfortunately I can't enjoy the luxury of that as I live in an apartment.

So thank you Uncle Robert for all the great advise and I've to go enjoy my hifi with its new life and zest!

Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
skareb, congrats to your new found improvement.

I've been trying to get an electrian to plant the earth rod for my house, not only for sound but more for safety issue. My house is a magnet for lightning strikes.

But most electricians I asked, wanted tp charge an arm plus leg for the job! Perhaps you can pass me your electrician contact?

Will call ya soon for it if you don't mind.

Thanks.

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
very true also loh, i had my power source shared with my aircond, i didnt bothered the power at first, but after installing things like avr, noise harvester and power cables, i realise that the background noise level is much less, now imaging that i mod my line and shift the aircond to another line or so, i think that should give a lot of improvement

btw, how much was total gross expanditure for this upgrade
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
I've spend RM278 for everything. RM58 for uncle Robs MK switchless socket, RM220 for the instalation, 6mm wiring and ABB MCB. Actually if anyone wanna cut cost you can use lower quality socket, mcb and thinner wiring, my electrician thinks I'm crazy for using the 6mm cable Laughing

And Alephman, he's not exactly the cheapest electrician in town, but I always call him coz I find his work very good. Anyway get a few quote if you want better pricing.

His contact Ah Wai 012-254-0927
kuanj

spacer
Post Post subject: DIY planting Brass Earthing Rod
Alephman wrote:
skareb, congrats to your new found improvement.

I've been trying to get an electrian to plant the earth rod for my house, not only for sound but more for safety issue. My house is a magnet for lightning strikes.

But most electricians I asked, wanted tp charge an arm plus leg for the job! Perhaps you can pass me your electrician contact?

Thanks.

Hi Alephman,
Deleted on SKAREB's advise - DIY earth connection-
kuanj

Last edited by kuanj on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Kuan, sorry not trying to be a pain in the a5s but I would advise members here not to be too adventurous with electrical things. It may look simple to those who has background in electrical but for some with limited knowledge it can also spell danger.

Please becareful when you decide to modify electrical things as it could lead to loss of lifes. I would prefer to spend some money and hire a professional afterall we're not talking in terms of thousands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Other Audio Equipment All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: