. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Comparision between a copied CD and the original CD Go back
kuanj

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Comparision between a copied CD and the original CD
SoundStage Valve Amplifier
Dear All,

I having been trying a search on the SoundStage valve amplifier ( valve /SS). No markings were found on the equiptment or details. This amplifier is imported by Tong Lee Co located Plaza Low Yat Kuala Lumpur.
The 35 watt per channel is selling for RM1299 and comes with a free pair of locally made bookshelf speakers (brand prymaid).
The sound is quite impressive for its price but after awhile it sounded very electrical.

Appreciate if someone can provide the URL to this Soundstage manufacturer in Taiwan for specifications and other details.

Thanks
sonyman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
hi kuanj
im a owner of the sound stage pre and power amps, so far i have never seen any web page,

the only review i can find is from the star audiophile column, thats the best i have ever come so far...

the system tend to be a bit bright but overall it is ok for a beginner like me.... nothing much to compare, but if you havent bought one yet. you should look arround first... give urself more choice..

anyway i had made a lot of improvements to the system and it was really different when i first started, much much better i would say...

hope it helps
kuanj

spacer
Post Post subject:
sonyman wrote:
hi kuanj
im a owner of the sound stage pre and power amps, so far i have never seen any web page,

the only review i can find is from the star audiophile column, thats the best i have ever come so far...

the system tend to be a bit bright but overall it is ok for a beginner like me.... nothing much to compare, but if you havent bought one yet. you should look arround first... give urself more choice..

anyway i had made a lot of improvements to the system and it was really different when i first started, much much better i would say...

hope it helps

Hi SonyMan,

Can we share yr experience i.e. a brief description of yr setup such as speaker model, source, valve type/model etc.

Have not decided to purchase the Soundstage as yet.

kuanj
built

spacer
Post Post subject:
hi sonyman,
how did you improve your system?

thanks.

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
ok sure i would love to share.

let me think back.

the first thing that i have ever add on to the system is the room tuning.
those cylinder type room acoustics absorber. when the room is less boomy so when you add things onto the system will give you improvements.

my first setup was sound stage pre and power. then i use the CEC cd2100, very entry level. and full load of vibrapod on each every component legs including under the speakers.

my first speaker was KEF cresta 2, very good pair os speaker, and i reconmend those who really into music, should consider this one.

no special power cords used, just plain cables from the manufacturer.
my interconnects used were transparent link 200. entry level, and tranwsparent HP14-4 inwall speaker cables which are terminated by tong lee. those are really good for enttry, but not so good much later.

as i would say, a new system could not be listen and it is really wild. not tame at all the sound, gets very boomy and very high bitting sounds.

as i went on listening, i practically had to select music to listen, cause a lot cd's dont sound good at all.

i had the system run in for about 1 year or so and it became much better.

then my first improvement for the system was the tuning block and 3 mini golden sound cones. that was a tremendous improvement to the system.

later i had the dyi power cable for my preamp change and another big improvement to the system, much quieter, i tell you, power is the first thing to look into when u need to improve to be better. i had that setup for a while, then i had bought myself some shun muk mini mapingo and also the mapingo disc to tune on the preamps transformer.this one really bring the tick tick and ching ching out of the system, it gives the dynamicness of the component. especially on the guitar.

later i got myself a shun muk valve resonator. that didnt really had big difference but still i believe it had some small improvements. i did try once removing out all those tuning equipments including the boards and listen to the simple plain setup, it was awfull sound. no stage and very muddy. once you put in all those things, it sounded what i had always listen to.

later i got a pair of MIT z cord power cable for my power amps. and i hang on for a while there.
then i had to do upgrades for the speaker, cd player and also sent the preamp to be mod.

i went with my dad to tong lee, and audition on speakers and also on the mod preamps.
we agreed to buy the improvements, at this moment my cd 2100 had problems , so tong lee introduce me the cec cd3100, a 24 bit bur brown dac, very very big difference especially with the transparent which really brought all the improvements. i then sold the cresta 2 and got ourselves the coda 70.

this time i had problems with the speaker cables, as i just cound not bring the coda to its performance level, i found out that the limit was at the speaker cable, i had them change to biwiring 2 different cables and it worked well, you could read in the cables review.
this had brought out the system performance and also the speaker performance.
i really enjoyed listening to a lot of music as it had very good sound for that moment.
then i had to change the cd player power cable and got my self a diy using fm acoustics power cable, much more mellow was tune to the system. very much mellow now with the tuning and burn in and also the modification of the capacitors in the preamp which improves the bandwidth response.

all in all the total time spend was 4 years, now the system is 4 years old and it is really matured.

laterly i had got a cheap jamo floor stander speaker and it sounded much better than my coda 70. though in the highs may not be as good as the coda 70, due to different tweeter technology, but the jamo had a more solid vocal compare to the kef coda, bass on the jamo was stronger and deep, not on the coda 70 book shelf.

most important the power and the room must be tune first, that is no echo and also power is clean, then what so ever system you plug in will give you significant results.

this is for the moement but i would tell you more,

but if you really wanna start,there are a lot of choices, i had listen to tangent, and also a lot of others, between valves and also transistor, no answer which is better just answer what you want to listen to, what kind of music you like.

for me the best amp is conrad johnson, best speaker is von schiweikert and a whole lot more, b&w is my favaourite. though i dont own them but im happy with what i have,
what i would intend to get would be unison research SR1 hybrid amps.

take a look at soundstage hybrid amps, if you mod them well you will have one hell of a system, i had listen to one before.

hope this helps
sonyman

spacer
Post Post subject:
sory some correctons, CEC CD 3300, this is the model im using
kuanj

spacer
Post Post subject: SonyMan Setup
Hi SonyMan,

Wow... a very detailed and informative write up on yr
SoundStage. Do keep the forum informed if u hv further mod or upgrade on yr current setup.

In regard to power supply, has anyone tried the use of an isolating
transformer, another DIY. The isolating transformer is placed between the power source and the equiptment. I hace not tried it
myself but heard about it.

kuanj
sonyman

spacer
Post Post subject:
i think a good thing about the seperated power supply is that you are able to customise and also upgrade on almost everything. but there is not much of advantage if you were to use a good well designed low noise transformer. you dont really need to separate it.

but if it were DYI maybe that is something that can reduce noise, but unless you use short cables, if not the power cable from the transformer to the component will pick noise up as well.

but is gives an idea of removing the transformer noise from the components, there are cons as well,

too troublesome as if you have 5 components, you will have 5 seperated power supply, this takes a lot of space.

well , i dont really see advantages in seperating them.
built

spacer
Post Post subject:
thnx for d info... Very Happy

spacer
Post Post subject:
sonyman wrote:
sory some correctons, CEC CD 3300, this is the model im using

Does yr CD3300 reads CD r and CD w? If yes is there any sonic difference between original CD and copied CD?

May I know what is the price u pay for?

kuanj
sonyman

spacer
Post Post subject:
hi kuan j ,
i hope some one has answered u the question u asking.

well , i havent try with cd rw yet, but i have tried with cdr and it works.
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Sonyman, eh I wana ask ah how much you spent on your DIY powercable? I'm looking for one but limited budget, I audition the Siltech Berlin for over a week and find no difference with my OEM cable. BTW its for my CDP.

spacer
Post Post subject:
i paid 250 for it, a second hand one.

so i fu want to make one, i dont know the exact cost leh.

but should come close to 3 to 4 hundred.

the one i bought uses a lot of good stuff
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
did you do AB test to confirm the improvement? cos I was surprise the berlin costing RM600 did absolutely no difference from the OEM.

spacer
Post Post subject:
what do u mean by AB test

do u mean switching between the live and neutral ?

ya i did the comparison, it works out on the switching part, so i had to get extra plugs to invert the cables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: